Monday, November 30, 2009

1984, the Brain that Changes Itself and Berlin Tales

At some point, without it being a conscious choice, I went from blogging about some of the books that I read to blogging about all of the books that I read. It's just hard to read a book and not have something to say about it.

Here are the latest three I have read.

1984by George Orwell

I have listed 1984 in my Top 5 Favorite Books (yes, that needs to be capitalized) since I first read it in grade 11. Sure, I didn't have as much to compare it to then, but I remember loving it. Actually, first I remember I picked the The Grapes of Wrath , which I hear is really good and would love to get back to. I recall the first 5 or so pages of the book being about dust. Just dust. I looked at how much I had left, and talked to some other kids in my class that had picked 1984. (I'm not trying to imply we only read one book. Hey, it was Bowness. I just remember we got to pick between about 6, which I thought was very cool). I really need to read the Grapes of Wrath now, but I can't say I'm not super happy with my choice to switch. I'm pretty sure I read 1984 a second time, but I couldn't have been older than 20. I read it again a month ago, and loved it even more. I remembered the story, but I still feel that I got a lot out of it on the re-read. I do with the word "doubleplusungood" didn't seem quite to relevant while I was reading it this time. If you haven't read it, don't admit it – I'll think less of you. Just kidding! If you know it and love, consider a reread. It's just that good.

The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, M.D.

Firstly, thanks Sheasby, for lending this to me.

Second, a mildly embarrassing admission. I was talking a bit about this book when I first started to read it, and I couldn't remember the author's name. I confidently said, "you know when a name sounds somewhat foreign, and therefore it's harder to remember? It reminded me of reading Pol Pot, where I had a very hard time keeping all of the people straight (although in that book most people went by more than one name). Yeah, this is like that." Doidge. Oops. There goes my theory. (Credability? Memory?)

I would also recommend this book. I might not make my top 5 of all time like 1984, but I do really enjoy non-fiction. There is some super interesting stuff in this book including stuff on rehabilitation for stroke victims, sexuality, phantom limbs, PETA and Sea Gypsies. Now you will at least have to read it to figure out what the hell a Sea Gypsy is, no? The book is super interesting, if long and not exactly a breezy read. I mean that in the good way and the bad way. I read another book at the same time, and that was perfect.

One last note on this book. It's gotten me hooked on Sudoku. Use it or lose it, so I'd rather use it. This way my brain with not lose the numbers 1-9. ;)

Berlin Tales , multiple authors, translated by Lyn Marven

I'm mildly obsessed with Germany, and I love Berlin. So I was randomly looking for books on the city by searching the library catalogue. The book actually had a list of other books about Berlin in the back, and I might check out one or two of the other ones. Anyway, this book is a compilation of short stories, all with the linking theme of Berlin – specifically geography. Some of the stories are barely about Berlin. They are just set there. Most are very much about Berlin the city. Some of the short stories I didn't really care for. Actually most of them. There are, however, some jewels in the middle. It's not like any of them were bad either. Worth a read, if you like Berlin.

Reading this book made to want to check out Berlin on Google Street View. They don't have it yet! I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but I was disappointed.

No comments: