Monday, December 7, 2009

The Children of Men by P.D. James

So I'm on a bit of a mad reading tear right now. I mean, wait, no. This book was tiny. A novella. Hardly bigger than short story. Okay, I'm lying.

This was one of those odd times where I say the movie first before reading the book. I really liked the movie and I'd never read anything by P.D. James. I figured I would get a slightly more detailed version of Children of Men (the movie). I was very wrong – they are drastically different. The premise is the same. The book, set in a dystopian 2021, opens with the death of the world's youngest man, aged 25.

Our unlikely protagonist is Theo (Clive Owen in the movie, and therefore in my "imagination" while reading) and his story revolves around the first birth after humanity loses the ability to reproduce. (Which reminds me of a radio news story I heard once about scientists in Australia using some virus to attempt to sterilize possums in order to control their population. Scary! If you want to read an article, click here.)

The differences are drastic. Theo is 50. On e of the major characters in the movie isn't in the book. Julian, Luke, Jasper and Miriam are all very very different that their movie counterparts. The Fujis (of the movie, not the band . Those Fuji's are still killing you softly) are different. The island is different. Theo's connections are different and far more important in the book.

It wasn't just the differences that held my attention. I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend reading the book AND seeing the movie, although I am at a loss for what to suggest you do first. I suppose if it's one or the other (for you), I'd have to suggest you read the book. Only because it's a book, not because I cared for one version significantly over the other. Yes, read the book, but still make popcorn. One of my favorite things about movies is the popcorn.

No comments: