Thursday, December 10, 2009

Culture Night

Wednesday night has been dubbed Culture Night. It started as free AGO night, and progressed from there. When I say "progressed", I don't mean to imply I did anything other than go to the AGO. Unless you could watching Glee. Last night was culture night the 3rd.

Mere and I went a couple of weeks ago, and mostly checked out the Group of Seven stuff on the second floor.

Last night, Sheasby and I went, and saw a mixed bag. I now we say stuff on the second floor (it's that good) and also the 5th (top floor). Getting to the first floor turned out to be amusing. We were near an elevator, so we hoped in. There were about 7 options for floor buttons. The top one said 2U, and I thought, "strange this doesn't say 5." We tried it, waited, and got out....7 stairs from where we started. It had taken us half a story. How embarrassing.

We then walked back down the seven stairs - it would be that or see the whole floor again. We found a nice old man with an AGO tag who not only offered to give us directions, he actually took us to the elevator. Except that he had no idea where to find it. When he realized the elevator was not where he thought it was, we stopped and had a nice chat. And I looked at the map were holding. ;)

I'm hoping to check out the ROM next. They also have discounted rates depending on when you go, but unfortunately, there website isn't quite as forthcoming with this information as the AGOs. I do remember that Thursday is not the day to go - full price is $22. Ah, found it - click here for more information. I liked the AGOs website way better, which tell you about free night without digging and also doesn't make you decide between "tourist" and "family/kids" from the opening page. Meh. When we physically went to the ROM (we decided to go back on a day other than Thursday), there was a student discount day too, but I'm not sure where that is on their website. Maybe I needed to click on "student tourists" or something.

If anyone has any other ideas for Culture Night, please leave them. Also, if you run into free or discount nights at any of these sorts of things, I'd love to hear about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Heath,

I don't think these would really fit into a "culture night", but rainbow cinemas, which is somewhere in TO apparently is having free morning movies. See www.rainbowcinemas.ca. for details. Looks like your choices are Night at the Museum II or Ice Age 3. Personally free is too much for Night at the Museum II but Ice Age 3 might be cute? shrugs. I have no idea if that is near you or not. Just FYI.
Cheers,
Jen