Monday, December 28, 2009

The Fairmont Royal York


This weekend {actually, two weeks ago now. I decided to post it as I wrote it. Comments from today are in blue.}, we finally used the Fairmont gift certificate that I won in that draw – you remember, the one where I entered my nametag. {I checked in under "Princess", but unfortunately, it didn't show up on my receipt. The guy who checked us in didn't crack a smile. He was very professional. My sincere thanks go out to everyone who didn't vote for Rear Admiral}. We were first thinking of going to the Banff Springs, then Montebello. This weekend, we used it at…the Royal York, in downtown Toronto. Neither Kristin or I really felt like driving to Montebello this weekend (or the Banff Springs, for that matter).

The Royal York was a lot of fun. Since staying the Royal York doesn't cost as much as some of the other Fairmonts, we had enough left on the gift certificate for some yummy Fairmont food. We decided on the EPIC lounge, after checking out all of the options in the hotel. We had a delicious dinner in the form of wine, salad, a fancy pizza with beef, a chicken flatbread thing, and pear chocolate something something for dessert. YUM. {if you go, be sure to order the something something.}



Before dinner, a free concert presented itself. We went for a little walk to go see the ginormous Christmas tree at Queen and Bay. In actuality, the Cavalcade of Lights was on, complete with loads of lights, a rink crammed with skaters, a free paper, and even State of Shock. We stayed for a few songs before heading back to the hotel for food.

Sunday we went to the Raptors game, which was awesome. The Raptors beat the Houston Rockets 101-88. Unfortunately, one of my favorite Raptors, Jose Calderon, was injured and not playing. Good think Jared Jack played so well at point guard. Bosh scored a lot of points and I have a new found respect for Turgalu. Not that I thought he was a chump before, I just hadn't really paid attention to him. There was an exciting bit where a Rocket swung and elbow and got himself ejected from the game. Click here to check it out on YouTube. The end of the game had me howling with laughter. The Raptors had been up all game by varying margins, all of them large. However, the end of the game was tight as to whether or not the Raptors were going to score 100 points. They had announced earlier that Pizza Hut (at a few locations around the Air Canada Centre only – aka not in Waterloo, so boo!) give a slice of free pizza when you show your ticket stub if the Raptors score 100. It was close, and the crowd started freaking out. The Raptors hit a three with a few seconds left to make the 100, and the crowd cheered PIZZA with enthusiasm that had not been closed to matched the entire game.



After a couple of days in Waterloo, I'm on the bus back to Toronto to catch my flight to Calgary tomorrow morning. (Actually, the roads are so bad right now that the bus was supposed to arrive downtown 5 minutes ago, and instead I am just leaving Cambridge. Ouch. It's okay though, it gave me a chance to blog about the rest of the AWESOME weekend, and get a start on my Sudorku.) {the bus took almost four hour in the end. We passed three accidents before even getting to the 401. If I sounded a little distracted in the post, it's because I was trying to distract myself from boredom/certainty we were going to crash/more boredom etc. By the time I got off, I was tired, really hungry and hypothyroid}.

No comments: