Sunday, December 27, 2009

Into Thin Air

Wait, that title has been taken.

Running in Toronto last night made me think about how difficult it is to run outside in Calgary in the winter. I went for six or seven runs while I was there. I remembered it being a lot harder, but the differences were stark, with a direct comparison like that.

Calgary challenges: lots of snow, big curbs with slanted driveways, COLD (it was -20 C on the coldest day I ran), ice, frozen iPod batteries & it's harder to breathe.
Calgary perks: SUN, even when it's freezing. Plowed running path by the river (which I never used while I was there, because I would have had to drive to it. )

Toronto challenges: None are coming to mind.
Toronto perks: clear sidewalks (at least now), WARMTH (I wore a hoody last night and no gloves).

Random note: I did run in Waterloo the other week, and have way more trouble that Calgary. Waterloo was really slippery and there was slush everywhere. My feet kept slipping and it kept hurting my knee.

Geography-free perk: I am really enjoying running these days.

No comments: