Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Traffic in Columbia - Janice Lo Guest Blog

I have to admit that when I first heard that we had been invited to travel to Colombia to play ultimate, I didn't think it would happen. It seemed like one of those far-fetched things that people talk about doing but don't actually follow through with. Now that I am here in Colombia, I'm even more astounded that it happened. It seems so difficult here to organize anything, even something as simple as meeting for dinner, that I have a whole new level of appreciation for the amazing people who organized this tournament. They have organized not only the tournament, but an entire week of youth outreach ultimate clinics, a media conference, various events and parties, and even an international forum to provide discourse on growing the sport, teaching the sport, and keeping the spirit of the game alive.

Now nothing ever goes perfectly according to plan, and when I am travelling I never expect it to. In fact, I've often found the only things that work out perfectly happen when you had no plan to begin with. So with that said, there have been a few minor snags along the way, but no good stories would ever happen if not for such snags. Our bus broke down on the way into town from the airport, so we made our way to a nearby gas station, drank beers on the outdoor patio of the gas station, and then noticed that on the other side of the hill, discs were flying. Sure enough, a few members of our Canadian and American teams were running a clinic for youth players and students. Turns out that even in a sprawling city of over 4 million people, it can be a small, small world.

I arrived on Sunday, Nov 22, and the first few days were spent busily going to schools in underprivileged neighbourhoods to teach ultimate clinics, and attending media events and a discussion forum. In between I had a bit of time to explore the city on my own as well, checking out the metro cable car, botanical gardens, science center and aquarium. The tournament began on Wednesday night with opening ceremonies, and a co-ed showcase game between Canada and the USA. The following few days were filled with competitive games, with the finals and closing ceremonies on Saturday afternoon. (Victory went to the Americans, in the showcase game and in both men's and women's finals.) The nights were filled with drinking and loitering in the parks of Medellin with our new Colombian hosts and friends. Saturday night after the finals consisted of an all-night party atop a great hill overlooking the city lights, complete with swimming pool, hot food, and dancing of all types. After the excitement of the tournament, a little winding down has been nice. Following a lazy post-party morning, a large group of us wandered out to watch a soccer match at the stadium (great fun despite a massive and sudden half-time downpour). The next day I did a bit more exploring on my own, through a traditional barrio and to a small house-turned-museum to commemorate the work of Pedro Nel Gomez, a local artist.

My first week here has flown by and yet it feels like I've been here for a long time. I've learned a few things. I've discovered that Colombian time is something like ultimate time, only later. That Asian tourists are a very unusual phenomenon here, and that people here have no qualms about staring at them. That Dominican guys ooze sex all over the dance floor and can practically dance you into orgasm. That you should never eat that sketchy meat of unknown origin sold outside the soccer stadium. And that the clean air we have back in Canada is not something to be taken for granted.

I've also learned that Colombia is a serious up-and-coming force in the international ultimate scene. Ultimate is in the schools here now, people know of it at an early age, young kids here all have nice flick throws already, and the number one women's team in the country has an average age of about 18. Finally, I've learned that Colombian hospitality is almost unrivaled. From the moment we arrived in Colombia, we've been treated with genuine respect and helpful attention, as friends and equals. Our hosts have been so gracious and hospitable that I can only hope Canada will be able to show the world the same hospitality when the Olympics arrive. All I can say is the bar has been set pretty damn high.

Janice

No comments: