Thursday, August 1, 2013

What I've Been Reading in this Long Blog Drought

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay:  Pick this up if you dig historical fiction like I do.  I saw the movie first.  Conveniently, my parents owned the book.  The story is set around the Vel'd'Hiv' round up in Paris (July 1942).  If you want my copy, I'll gladly pass it on.  Not if I don't know you.  That would just be weird.

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire:  I love everything that this guy writes.  It's an alternative looks at Cinderella.  I plan to eventually get to everything this guy writes.  Wicked is still my favorite.  Btw, Nat, I'm pretty sure I "borrowed" this from you five years ago in Calgary.  Somehow it came with me to Toronto.  Sorry about that.

World of Wonders by Robertson Davies:  Following a conversation with my Dad about how much I loved Fifth Business, I was reminded that I've been meaning to read this book since I got back from Portland.  It was kind of cool to read this book so close (less than 2 km) from UCC where Davies went to school.  It makes him seem....more real.  If you are Canadian, this is a must read.  If you are not Canadian, read it anyway, because it's a great book.  Next up, the Manticore (I think technically book two, but it mattered not).

In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje:  As I am a geography dork, I think Toronto is the perfect place to read this book, set it Toronto in the 1930's.  The story includes the building of the Bloor St. Viaduct and the R.C. Harris Water Treatment plant.  The later was of particular interest to me, having toured it just a few years ago for Doors Open.  It was really cool to see.  Complete will incredibly expensive-looking marble everywhere (which is in the book).  Even the ground are cool.  Well worth taking the street car to the end of the universe.  Good thing JarJar was such a good sport about it.  Back to the book!  I do feel that I should warn you about a nasty sex scene or two.  In a couple of places, In the Skin of a Lion reminded me of the Swedish movie-version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  My reactions were similar, and I think in each case not exactly what they were going for.  My reaction: "Oh nasty.  That's just nasty.  NO!  no. no... Nasty".   

Part of the reason I wanted to write about these books is so that I remember that I read them.  My memory is just not what it used to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is ok Heather because I still have one of your harry potter books captive on my shelf.

Loved Sara's Key.

Nat